Ossia Score on a Rasp Pi 4

I find Ossia Score the missing link in what I do for a daily job: building interactive installations. This can range from escape rooms to concerts or exhibitions in museums. At the moment I use a variety of devices to achieve this, (e.g. Arduino, BrightSign, PC/Mac etc.). Ossia on a Pi could hopefully change all of those into a small inexpensive and flexible piece of hardware.

Now, reading the forums here and seeing that it might not work yet, but it might be in the near future. My questions being:

1. Is there a roadmap for this to work?
  2. Can I help?

Hello, thanks for your interest :slight_smile:

What you can do is

Thanks !

Apparently I don’t get updates about replies, so I missed your reply. But thanks for getting to me that quick!

I’m trying to follow your guide in the docs, but the Pi4 doesn’t have a Full KMS option. See here and here for a discussions with a Pi engineers. I selected the Fake KMS for now.

I extracted the tar.gz in a folder and tried to run both versions of Score (X11 and EGLFS) but neither work either executing via the terminal or just execute.

Hi,
to get the Full KMS option in the config menu, you have to update the Pi firmware with sudo rpi-update (and then reboot, and check that you are indeed using kernel 5.10). Though it should still run - what are the error messages you’re getting if any ?

Running kernel 5.10.25-v7l+ now (5.10.23.-v7l+ before) and no option for the Full KMS option in the latest version of the config. Also no error messages are shown when launching Score. It just flashes a terminal window when trying to run in the ‘execute in terminal’ option.

Hi @kleurbleur ,

The Full KMS option is needed for the use of the Window device (if i am not mistaking).
You can try adding a Window device in the Device explorer to test it.
But if you current work doesn’t require video work, you are probably good to go as is.

Thanks @kleurbleur, strange that you don’t get the kms option.

Can you run it in a terminal ? there may be more visible error logs here.

@thibaudk I have no idea why I don’t have the option for Full KMS but after reading those pages I’ve got the idea that the Pi4 does not have the capability to do so. It also looks like the FakeKMS has the same functionality. Or am I mistaken?

@jcelerier Tried running it in the terminal. Got these errors:
$ ./ossia-score-x11
+ SOURCE=./ossia-score-x11
+ ‘[’ -h ./ossia-score-x11 ‘]’
+++ dirname ./ossia-score-x11
++ cd -P .
++ pwd
+ DIR=’/home/pi/Desktop/piplayer/ossia score-3.0.0-a24’
++ dirname /home/pi/Desktop/piplayer/ossia score-3.0.0-a24
+ DIR=’/home/pi/Desktop/piplayer
.’
+ cd ‘/home/pi/Desktop/piplayer
.’
./ossia-score-x11: line 12: cd: $’/home/pi/Desktop/piplayer\n.’: No such file or directory

I’m new to the Pi and Linux in general. Got some experience with the terminal since I’m using macOS but I’m learning here as I go to. So for example, I’m not sure if the location of the application makes a difference?

Ah, it looks like the script doesn’t handle spaces, sorry, that’s a bug on our side

Can you replace the x11 script by

#!/bin/bash -eux

DIR=$(dirname $(realpath "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}"))

cd "$DIR"
export MESA_GLES_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.2
export MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=320
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="./lib"
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb

./bin/ossia-score $@

Tried it again:

$ ./ossia-score-x11
+++ realpath ./ossia-score-x11
++ dirname /home/pi/Desktop/piplayer/ossia score-3.0.0-a24/ossia-score-x11
+ DIR='/home/pi/Desktop/piplayer
score-3.0.0-a24'
+ cd '/home/pi/Desktop/piplayer
score-3.0.0-a24'
./ossia-score-x11: line 5: cd: $'/home/pi/Desktop/piplayer\nscore-3.0.0-a24': No such file or directory

Though, since you said it’s an error due to the whitespace I deleted that from the folder name of Ossia and now it works! Got a message that I have to change the audio settings but that’s fine I’m guessing.

This is the output in the terminal, not sure if it contains anything important:

+++ realpath ./ossia-score-x11
++ dirname /home/pi/Desktop/piplayer/ossia-score-3.0.0-a24/ossia-score-x11
+ DIR=/home/pi/Desktop/piplayer/ossia-score-3.0.0-a24
+ cd /home/pi/Desktop/piplayer/ossia-score-3.0.0-a24
+ export MESA_GLES_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.2
+ MESA_GLES_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.2
+ export MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=320
+ MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=320
+ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib
+ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib
+ export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb
+ QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb
+ ./bin/ossia-score
ARM FPSCR: 80000010
QFontDatabase: Cannot find font directory /opt/ossia-sdk-rpi/pi/sysroot/opt/ossia-sdk-rpi/qt5-static/lib/fonts.
Note that Qt no longer ships fonts. Deploy some (from https://dejavu-fonts.github.io/ for example) or switch to fontconfig.
("addons", "/home/pi/Documents/score/addons")
(QToolBarLayout(0x822e530), QToolBarExtension(0x823e880, name = "qt_toolbar_ext_button"), QAction(0x823e780), QWidgetAction(0x81fdcc8), QLabel(0x823f548, name = "TimeLabel"), QToolButton(0x823f468), QToolButton(0x8245208), QToolButton(0x82455b0), QToolButton(0x823ced8), QWidgetAction(0x8244388), QWidget(0x823e7a8, name = "SpeedSlider"))
Warning: Only C and default locale supported with the posix collation implementation (:0)
Warning: Only C and default locale supported with the posix collation implementation (:0)
Warning: Case insensitive sorting unsupported in the posix collation implementation (:0)
Warning: Numeric mode unsupported in the posix collation implementation (:0)
Warning: Case insensitive sorting unsupported in the posix collation implementation (:0)
Warning: Numeric mode unsupported in the posix collation implementation (:0)
Debug: Could not save device (:0)

Thanks so far. I will go on check if video/audio will play and report back.

yep, all of this is normal debug output that can be safely ignored. glad that you could get it to run

ALSA audio driver was not working because it had no device it could select. Although I have a HDMI audio capable screen connected. Also have headphones connected. Got audio output from both before in other programs. So I used the dummy audio driver for now to test the video.

Also the aspect ration from the video test file is off. It is not wide enough. Omxplayer and VLC had the correct aspect ratio. It did play quite smooth though!

edit:
I could change the window scale to have it the correct aspect ratio. Could be that I dragged accidentally when trying to get it to the foreground. So I tried to close and open the window again in the hope that I got the right aspect ration but now I see in the gfx window that part of the screen that was there (ex: the player and terminal). Playing Score doesn’t make it disappear or play the video in the gfx window.

ps: how do I get those fancy colour code blocks on this forum?