Jack transport as clock source

Hi,

I’m new to score, but first of all, congratulations to the dev team for it!

I wanted to know, are there any plans to include the jack transport mechanism as a Clock Source? Also in that regard, what is the difference between ‘dataflow’ and ‘default’ in that menu?

Thanks in advance.

Hello :slight_smile: thanks for the kind words !

I wanted to know, are there any plans to include the jack transport mechanism as a Clock Source?

Yup, this would certainly make sense (although not as “clock source” but as … some mechanism that does not exists yet in the code).

Clock source is basically the “engine” used - “dataflow” means that it’s driven by the soundcard while “default” means that it’s driven by a simple thread that polls regularly. But it’s only useful on system without soundcards and does not handle audio - this should be hidden behind some kind of advanced settings or even not shown at all (it’s a remnant from previous research basically).

We are also investigating how to support other timing sources, such as midi or LTC time code and associated. Also, Ableton Link might have to fit in there somehow - it’s something I would really like to support.

Note that for now even if play / stop / pause isn’t integrated with jack, it is still remote-controllable through OSC if you have a need for it.

1 Like

Thanks for opening the github issue! I did see that the Local device has OSC and WS, so I might try that later.

I want to ask, if you are using Jack and ‘dataflow’, does score’s clock ticks through jack_set_process_callback() or something simliar then?

Thanks!

Yup, exactly ! (https://github.com/OSSIA/libossia/blob/master/OSSIA/ossia/audio/jack_protocol.hpp#L86)